Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just home from seeing Grace Jones live at the Enmore Theatre. I'm not really sure how best to describe it, but boy was it fantastic! She looked great; she sounded great; and the costumes changes were very cool. A new hat for each song - seemingly getting more outlandish by the moment. Best moment? The silver diamante bowler hat being lit by two huge green lasers for Love Is The Drug - sublime.

Strangest moment? Me hearing the opening chords to Slave To The Rhythm and bursting into tears. Still trying to work through that one right now. It's not a particular favourite, though I like it. Maybe it was memories of times gone by, or people and moments lost. Maybe it was just the thought that I never thought I'd hear it played live, in my forties, whilst living on the other side of the world from where I was born. Maybe I'm in more of a fragile emotional state than I thought. But for whatever reason, floods of tears. Fortunately for me it was so hot at the gig that it just looked as though I was wiping sweat from my brow.

A great but slightly surreal night. And that's without mentioning the fact that Grace hula-hooped all the way through Slave. No, really. F*cking marvellous!

No comments: