Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Well so much for the promise to improve. I have been doing other stuff honest! Actually quite a bit has been going down (as it were…)
Two weeks and a day ago I left you. Still in August no less. Crikey. The start of that week was pretty non-descript… work, podiatrist on the Tuesday, tried to do the gym on the Wednesday but Peter the trainer was so late we cancelled and I just did a run. That evening though was great. I headed over to Newtown and met Craig for a beer before we had dinner and home to his for a last night of snuggling before he headed off on holiday on the Friday. I’ve no idea what else I did that week. Think I was meant to catch up with Aaron, but didn’t. Probably lurked around Potts Point in the new surroundings. Got a nice message from Craig before he headed off on Friday and managed to speak to him. Not looking forward to not seeing him for 17 nights. And counting. :o(
Tried to keep myself busy that weekend. Managed to hook the PC up to the new ADSL connection in spite of the company’s help desk being a no-help desk. They won’t thwart me with their ‘we don’t support your modem’ shenanigans! So I’m back on-line at high speed all the time. Yay for music downloading! It really gives me no excuse for not updating Minkered…
Pete and Bobby had got up early to go to day Manacle, and so that afternoon they were up for continuing. We went for drinks to Jason’s in Bondi and had a couple of beers there. Thence to Bobby’s friend Martin’s party to continue. Fun. Then to the Newtown to finish things off. I piked around 11pm and took myself sensibly home to bed. Only to have to let Bobby in at 4am…
Sunday was Bobby’s birthday, but he had to work. Pete and I did brekky at Truck and then kept ourselves amused somehow – can’t remember how! Eventually it was time to head out for birthday beers – and we got to the Colombian at around 9.30pm – just in time to meet the gang. And verily we hit Arq. And there we stayed. Til after my self-imposed curfew. I did head home with Bobby so I could go to work… but then decided to head back out again. Naughty. Day Manacle was great though – Rado played a good set and we had fun. Colombian for more beer. Green Park for more beer and pool. Food. Home. Bed at 6.30pm. Sleep.
Tuesday was the worst day… Wednesday we made lo-o-o-ove. Sorry. Thought I was George Michael for a second there! Actually the whole week was a bit of a busy blur. In work early every day, ready for the move to International. Wednesday I did the gym, where Peter did a ‘fifties’ session with me. That’s where you do fifty reps of each exercise. Ouch! The rest of the time was resting, reading, internet-ing. Oh, and I hit Peter and Gary’s again on Thursday for food handover and the confirmation of looking after George, their Staffordshire terrier for that coming weekend.
Friday was very, very busy. Early into work. Did the handover to Bev and relaxed. Ended up managing to leave around 4.30pm. Woohoo! No more Domestic flights for me! Headed out to Bondi Junction and picked up George from Peter’s vet’s practice. To their place in Tamarama where I planted myself for a weekend of dog sitting. By the beach admittedly, so hardly too much of a trial – except that George is very high maintenance. Think 4 year old boy who has the ability to take your arm off if you rub him up the wrong way…
However, Friday night passed uneventfully with takeaway chicken and chips; League of Gentlemen Series 2 on DVD and a relatively early night. George managed to sleep on the bed and banished me to a tiny quarter so I didn't sleep particularly well! Saturday was brekky; taking George for a play in the park and then off to do some chores. Ended up back at Tamarama later and did not much else again. Pasta for dinner ready for my 10K race and more League of Gentlemen (the rest of Series 2 and the Christmas special). Early bed again and I managed to get George to only take up half the bed. Woohoo!
Up at 5.30am. Brekky and headed off to North Sydney via Potts Point to drop the car off. Come 7.30am and we were off - running in one of the most scenic runs around for the third year running. Wasn't sure what to expect time wise as I've not been training, but ended up with a respectable 49mins - about a minute slower than last year. Happy with that! Back to have brekky at Tamarama and then eventually Pete and Bobby came over for tea. They left and I hit Bronte to catch up with Rich, Russ and Aaron. First time I've seen R'n'R in about a month! I then took George off to one of Peter's veterinary nurses and my dog-sitting weekend was over. Back to Potts Point for dinner and sort out and an early night. Yay!!
This week - started in International. Weird. I've got all the systems knowledge I need to do the job, but no market knowledge. Consider the next few months as I immerse myself if all things India; Qantas flights from Australia to Singapore and Australian Airlines flights from Darwin and Cairns to and from Singapore. Phew! I'm exhausted just contemplating it. Not really doing much else. Gym last night which was good, and I'm going to go again today. Got an unexpected message from Craig on Monday night which made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Assuming he was at Darwin airport en route to his beach in Thailand. Can't wait to see him in 6 days.
It's a short week this and next for me as I take a long weekend and head to Melbourne. We're partying on Saturday but to be honest I'm not that interested. Looking forward to catching up with a lot of people I've not seen for ages - Adrian and Shane and Graham and David are flying down from Brisbane, and I'll hopefully also see Mark S and Steve A. I'm determined to see more of Melbourne than the inside of bars and clubs. Check back next week to see how I managed!!

No comments: