Monday, January 06, 2003

Already it’s well over 5 days past New Year and I’ve not blogged a jot. Or jotted a blog to be fair. So, here goes. Welcome to 2003…

We did indeed get let out early on New Year’s Eve – around 3pm in fact. However I’ve packed such a lot into the last few days that I can’t actually remember what I did that afternoon! Actually I remember – I did go to the gym and I think I did try for a disco nap but only managed about 30 mins… Finally I got myself organised and headed to R’n’R’s for the fireworks. Arrived smack on 9pm and up to the roof we went. And stayed. For about 30mins of nothing. Until we found out they’d been cancelled due to wind. Or some such nonsense. Russ had gone to Tim’s but Rich and I didn’t really want to so we grabbed Keith (Russ’s mate from Perth) and headed down to the Shift at around10.45pm. We’d decided to eschew Pride (Gold theme; girlie music; girlie, mixed crowd; ticket price $95) for Indulgence (Leather and denim; harder/hard music; older, predominantly male crowd; ticket price $25). I wasn’t 100% convinced as often those parties are a bit too full on and the music in particular can be very inaccessible. However I was more than pleasantly surprised and in fact had a riot. Walking in to the sound of ‘Shiny Disco Balls’ seemed to augur well for where the music was going to be at, and I have to say it was perfect for me. The DJs seemed to realise that New Year is about celebration and having fun rather than anything seedier, sleazier or darker. We’d also realised that most all our mates would be at Indulgence – and lo, they surely were. The party foursome of me, Rich and Russ and Adrian were aided and abetted by the lovely Pete and Crusty (my ex David Bassett) and Tim; and there were several others who came and went – Rod and Tony, James and Kim, Andrew and Tim, Alan Bright, Craig the vet (woof!). Too much fun. All good things must, er carry on and so once the Shift was drawing to a close we were up and off and at the Barracks. The frivolities continued long into the morning – I’ve lost count of who else came and went though Tony was a welcome addition to the fray, post Pride. Ah yes, and Brent. Mad. Great snogger. There was a slight hiccough in proceedings around midday, when half of our crowd left, in fact only really leaving Tony and Tim and I. We decided a beer at the Oxford would be good. Wrong. It was vile. Tony went on his merry way and Tim and I did the next best thing – we decided to go to Arq. However in the end we just went back to the Barracks until 3pm, picking up Triple F Steve on the way. Then we decided to go to Arq, as it was closing at 4pm – ‘just for an hour’. It was fun and in the end stayed open until 5pm! At that point we decided to just have one drink at the Shift… and were still to be found there at 9.30pm. Oops. How much fun? Tim did in fact leave but Steve and I stayed and chatted to two lovely guys – Dave and ? – until finally it was time to call it a day. Mad. Fun. One of the best party New Year’s in recent memory.

And so into work the next morning. Oh yes lovely readers. No respite for me. I somehow made it through the day and didn’t do a great deal that night. But I think I did coffee with someone. Somewhere. Probably. I seem to remember dinner with the boys. But where? Who can say. Friday was much the same. Work but not overly hard. Home. Gym as it’s always empty on a Friday. Stayed in! Yay. Played with some music mixing stuff. I need to put it all onto one CD though as currently it’s a bit all over the place. Watch this space. Saturday was a very relaxed day. Finally wandered into town at 1pm to meet Adrian, who was already with Rich. We wandered down to Victoria Street for coffee for a change in the sunshine. From there to truck for another coffee and to be joined by little Michael. From there we picked up Russ and pottered up and down Oxford Street almost as far as Paddington. Very chilled. We all went our separate ways for a little time before I bumped into Pete whilst eating at the Milk Bar. The boys came back but we finally went our own ways again. I had some nice pasta at home and then hit the Barracks much later. Drinks with Steve and Anthony and then the Phoenix. Fun. Some of the merry band were there – Dez, Andrew, John and Bruce, Murray… and the music was fun. For a change. Stumbled home in the early hours…

Sunday woke at around11.15am and it was glorious. Rich and Russ weren’t speaking so after a little drama I took myself off to the park to sit in the sunshine. Did Alfred Park and then Victoria Park then home. Gymmed with Andrew and then home and to the Palace. Nice to see Dave again after the Christmas break, bless him. Chatted with Dave, Brett, Dez, Neil until Pete and Piggy arrived, and then finally Rich. We hit the Shift and had more beers, snuck out for pizza and back for more beers! So much for a quiet night. Finally to the Colombian to drink a bit more and chat some more to the lovely Dave…

Home around 11.30pm. Sleep. No gym to get up for (though the downside of that is that I have a 6am session on Thursday – joy!). Into work today without the buffer of that Christmas/New Year relaxed attitude. However had a sociable morning emailing and chatting on the phone and I’ve managed to do all my work and still have time for this. Will head to the gym tonight for a run and then food and hopefully some life admin – it’s long overdue!

No comments: