Thursday, March 01, 2001

Surreal evenings I have known. Got a call from Charlotte to say that her and Bel were in a bar between Paddington and Edgecliff and so off I toddled to try and find them. Had a (very) rough idea where I was going, but called Charlie when I was a bit nearer to get directions a bit more exactly. I'll pass you on to Bel, she said, though you'll have to be quick as my battery's about to go. Next thing - nothing. Oh really. So I think OK, I'll still find the place. And sure enough, the very next street I turned down was the right one! Yay!! So, had a couple of drinks with them, and reminisced about the times when we all worked together at Capital and what else had been going on in the two years since we'd all got together. Ben (Bel's boyf) joined us - also ex Capital, but not from when I was there. Bel works for Charlie now, and Charlie's boss is a woman called Helen - formerly at Capital but selling from Manchester. We get a call from her - she's round the corner, so we de-camp and catch up with her. There had been stories of another former Capital bloke - Steve Smith, also being seen in Sydney recently - and he used to be Helen's boss. Still with me? Well, who should then be in the same pub? Yup. Just bizarre. We then decided (in our semi-minkered state) to call Andy Carter at Capital - the guy I've kept in touch with most and who everyone knows - and do the 'you'll-never-guess-where-I-am-and-who-I'm-with' routine. Fantastic.
Said our fond farewells and I joined up with David, Chris and Nigel at Gilligans. Long Island Iced Teas a go-go. Great fun. We eventually moved downstairs and C and N left. Got chatting to some nice blokes - Ross (?) turned out to be a DJ at a radio station in Perth, and Tony (little, v. cute Tony) turned out to be the ex of another friend here. I'd even been to their place for cocktails about two years ago. I left very happily with Tony's number :o)
Heading off for brunch now. It looks as though the cloud is here for the day, and David P's not answering text messages yet so assume he's suffering from last night's minkering. My mission for this arvo is to try and get tickets for the Arrivals Party - which is another excuse to get thoroughly minkered. I think I may just have to indulge...

No comments: