Thursday, March 01, 2001

Wednesday. Cloud. Grrr. After yesterday's post I picked up my Mardi Gras ticket, tried to buy sunnies but couldn't find the right ones, and headed for the pool again. Had been there about 20 minutes, and had noticed that a) it was cloudy and b) it seemed to be getting darker - not quite right for 3.45pm. Suddenly there was an announcement over the tannoy at the pool: "Ladies and gentlemen, just to let you know that we've received a severe weather warning. There is a big electrical storm approaching and if there is lightning spotted within 2 kilometres of the pool we will have to evacuate. Please look to the pool attendants if this happens". Well, call me old fashioned, but I didn't actually hang around to see if they evacuated as a quick look to the south told me all I needed to know. The biggest mother of a black cloud mass I've ever seen! So I toddled off homewards but only got as far as the Domain when the heavens opened. I sheltered in the museum, but managed to see the most spectacular deluge and the added joy of some filming (something Roman... along the lines of Gladiator it looked to me) being completely washed out. Never seen so many sodden people. It lasted the best part of an hour before letting up enough for me to continue home. Only regret is that I didn't have a camera with me - for the rain itself, and for the incredible views of the city centre buildings in the odd post-storm light. Incredible.

No comments: