Monday, July 09, 2001

OK. It's 2pm on my first day at work. I guess I should be doing something, but I haven't quite worked out what it is yet! So far so good. The best start to my new job? The fire alarm going off at the apartment at 5.50am. I'd not even considered what might happen in the advent of a fire. No one else in the building seemed to be moving, though it was kind of hard to tell. The good news? Within about 5 minutes the fire brigade arrived, and turned off the alarm. The bad news? Within about 10 minutes it went off again. Great. This time I stayed in bed and sure enough the fire truck came back and turned it off again. Hopefully this won't be a regular occurrence! So I tossed and turned a bit and finally got back to sleep with just enough time to fall into a really deep sleep before the alarm went off. Joy. And it was bloody cold when I did finally get out of bed!!

Managed to trough some brekky before leaving the house, and the commute's not too bad. 10 minute walk to train, 10 minutes on the train, 5 minute walk to office. The train goes over the harbour and gives the most incredible views. I can glimpse the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge as I walk from train to office, but sadly I have no further views once in work.

Big team meet first thing (every Monday apparently) and then, as the Pet Shop Boys would say, you only tell me you love me when you're drunk. Er I mean I've been left to my own devices. I've located the kitchen to make coffee, I've found the café downstairs to buy coffee and I've had a trip to the local deli (in the rain!) to buy great (but relatively expensive) lunch type stuff - oh and more coffee should I desire it. Ah yes, and the toilets. Found those. To get rid of the coffee.

I now have a laptop, email access (but not to Hotmail! Sniff...) and a phone. I've been through the CMS (Content Management System) with my editor and read a couple of proposals. I need to immerse myself in everything that is Youth Entertainment. Or is that Yoof? I know it'll come with time, but I feel kind of helpless in that I don't know about anything yet. Everyone else does. Don't you just hate that?

Had a quietish weekend otherwise. Beers with the boys Friday night, followed by Indian with Tony and kip at mine. Well tried to. The apartment is quite noisy through the night, just by virtue of being in town. Tony had a big work weekend ahead and needed to kip. He doesn't do noise very well in terms of sleeping. I worried that he wouldn't sleep and so neither one of us slept that well. I was up for brekky with Ian at 8.45am Saturday, which was nice. Great to catch up with him again. Brought Tony coffee back almost 2 hours later and he'd slept. He then went off to do work stuff and I pottered. Walked down to IKEA but decided I couldn't face it, so walked back again to Ian's. Saw his place (lovely!) and saw my TV and CD player for the first time in almost 2 years (even more lovely!!). Headed back to mine and was diverted into the Oxford by Garry. We then did noodles and went and say Moulin Rouge. Great film. I really, really enjoyed it. Camp as hell, good use of contemporary lyrics in a period piece, just all round good entertainment. Dizzy camera work in the opening 15 minutes made me wonder if I was going to enjoy it, but enjoy it I did. Go and see. Big time.

Went to Tony's for cocoa (no, really). No, really. Up Sunday morning and after brekky did manage IKEA. And then did laundry, haircut and headed downtown for other stuff. Teapots and mugs. I know how to have a good time. More beers at the Oxford twixt 6-8pm and then home to merry UK phone calls. Nice to chat to everyone. Bed. Nice weekend though quiet. Most bizarre thing? Realising that as I came into work for the first time here, the Tavern was just closing. How weird is that??

No comments: